‘We Buy Houses’ Cash Buyers Vs Listing With An Agent
There are two main ways to sell your house – you can either list it with an agent, or you can sell it yourself, directly to a ‘We Buy Houses’ cash buyer. Homeowners sometimes have to make the difficult decision of whether they want their home sold for cash or with a real estate agent.
With so many different aspects that go into each option, comparing them may help you decide which is right for your situation! Both have their advantages and disadvantages and it is important to consider which option is best for you.
While you may be able to get a higher sales price listing the traditional way with an agent, that doesn’t always mean less headache or hassle and it definitely doesn’t mean more money in your pocket.
Here is a side-by-side look at the differences below:
|Listing With An Agent||We Buy Houses Cash Buyer|
|Closing Costs||2% on average||NONE|
|Number of Showings||It depends: 1 – 20+||1 (Usually)|
|Inspection & Financing||Yes||NONE|
|Repairs||Negotiated During Inspection Period||NONE|
|Average Days Until Sold||+/- 91 Days||IMMEDIATE CASH OFFER|
|Closing Date||30-60 +/- days after accepting buyers offer||The Date of YOUR CHOICE|
Let’s dig in a little deeper:
- Selling with an Agent: A traditional sale with an agent will range from 5-6% of the final purchase price. For example, a house that sells for $500,000, the commission would be $30,000.
- Selling with an ibuyer (instant company): While these companies advertise they do not charge a commission, they do have hidden fees. They tend to call them Relationship or Service Fee. These range 6-7% and on a $500,000 house, the fee would be $35,000.
- Selling with a ‘We Buy Houses’ Cash Buyer: $0 – Selling with a ‘We Buy Houses’ cash buyer, there are no commission fees to pay.
- With An Agent: A real estate transaction has fees associated with the escrow process. They are 1-2% based on the sales price. For example, a house that sells for $500,000, the fees would be $5-$10,000.
- With An ibuyer (instant): This is the same as above. The fees are 1-2% based on the sales price. A $500,000 sales price would be $5-$10,000.
- ‘We Buy Houses’ Cash Buyer: $0 – Seller closing costs.
- Showings with an Agent: Showings with a traditional sale can range from 0 – 20 or more. It really depends on the market.
If it is a buyer’s market, and there is a lot of houses for sale and buyers can be choosey. You may get a showing once or twice a week. If it is a seller’s market, there are not very many homes for sale, and you could have many showings.
Either way, when you have your home listed for sale, you need to be prepared to have showings scheduled at any time, which means, keeping the house pristine, beds made, cat box cleaned and if you own fur babies, keeping them out of the house.
- Showings with an ibuyer (instant buyer): Showings with a corporate internet buyer, generally, there is just 1-2 showings.
- Showings with a ‘We Buy Houses’ Cash Buyer: Showings with a ‘We Buy Houses’ cash buyer – generally 1 showing.
- Appraisals with an Agent: Selling to a traditional buyer comes with an appraisal and the contingency. What this means is that the property must be appraised(value given) in order for the buyer to get a loan for a mortgage. If the appraised value doesn’t come in at the same price as the offer, you have to renegotiate the terms with the buyer. The contingency protects the buyer and the seller in the event the value comes in too low.
For example: Let’s say the offer on the house for sale is $600,000 and the appraised value comes in at $575,000 (this happens). The buyer has a couple of choices because of the appraisal contingency. They can cancel the sale, pay the difference in cash, or they can ask the seller to reduce the price to match the appraised value. Most of the time, they will ask the seller to reduce the price and sell at the new appraised value.
- Appraisals with an ibuyer (instant buyer): While you don’t have to worry about an appraisal, the process for the ibuyer is a two-step process. First they estimate the value of your home and send a bid. If you like your bid, they will then do an in-person tour and prepare a final offer.
- Appraisals with a ‘We Buy Houses’ Cash Buyer: You will not be subject to an appraisal with a ‘We Buy Houses’ cash buyer. You will answer a few questions about the home, they will schedule a tour and then you will receive your offer. Uncertainty removed!
Inspections And Financing
- Inspections with an Agent: A traditional sale to a buyer comes with an inspection contingency. Buyers will hire a professional home inspector to go over your home with a fined-tooth comb. The outcome of that inspection will decide if the buyer will move forward or cancel or ask for repairs.
- Inspections with an ibuyer (instant buyer): An ibuyer will do what is called an assessment of your home. They also have the same choices as a traditional sale. Move forward, cancel, or ask the seller for repairs.
- Inspections with a ‘We Buy Houses’ Cash Buyer: ‘We Buy Houses’ cash buyers will do a tour with you, then present an offer. No Inspections.
- Financing with a Buyer: A traditional sale to a buyer comes with a financing/loan contingency. This is the process of the buyer getting a loan to purchase your home. In California, a buyer has 17 days to get final loan approval. If they can’t get it, then they can cancel escrow and the seller has to find a new buyer.
- Financing with an ibuyer (instant buyer): An ibuyer purchases your home in cash, so there are no loan contingencies.
- Financing with a ‘We Buy Houses’ Cash Buyer: ‘We Buy Houses’ cash buyers also purchase your home with cash. No Financing, No Loans, No Contingency and No Uncertainty.
- Repairs with an Agent: A traditional sale to a buyer comes with a home inspection. The buyer will hire a home inspector and the outcome of the inspection may or may not result in negotiation of repairs. Repair costs could be as simple as a $100 repair or as high as a $15,000 replacement of a roof.
- Repairs with an ibuyer (instant buyer): A sale with an ibuyer can result in requested repairs after the ibuyer’s assessment. The seller can negotiate to do the repairs themselves, if time allows, but if the ibuyer does the repairs, the costs will be deducted from your original offer.
- Repairs with a ‘We Buy Houses’ Cash Buyer: ‘We Buy Houses’ cash buyers purchase homes AS-IS. That means they purchase the house with no repairs required. Most will let you pack what you want and leave the rest for them to clean.
- Selling with an Agent: When a seller decides to sell their home the traditional way, from the time the 6-month contract is signed, to the staging and prepping of the house, showings, offer, inspections and then finally the closing, the amount of time that has elapsed can range from 60-90 days or more depending on the current market.
- Selling with an ibuyer (instant buyer): When an ibuyer purchases your home you can select your home closing date. They can close in 14-60 days; you pick your closing date.
- Selling with a ‘We Buy Houses’ Cash Buyer: ‘We Buy Houses’ cash buyers can also close quickly. Most can close in as little as 7 days or longer. It is based on the seller’s needs and the seller picks the closing date. When escrow closes, the seller receives their cash.
Listing your house with an agent means that you’ll have someone else to handle all the paperwork and marketing for you. However, there is the uncertainty of if and when you will close escrow. You will also have to pay commission, make repairs, and it can take months to find a buyer.
Selling your house to a We Buy Houses cash buyer gives you the guarantee of when you will close escrow, you’ll save on commission, you won’t have to make repairs, and the best part, you can close escrow fast!
If you are thinking of selling your house in the Southern California area, WeBuyAnyHouseinCalifornia.com is here to help! Our goal is to provide the highest and best offer while giving you any additional help or support that may be needed. We buy houses in any condition, for whatever reason or situation.
Whether you accept or decline an offer from us, we will have a solution that will suit your needs! Want to know more about how we work? Check out our How It Works page for information on how we determine your cash offer. And if you’re curious, you can meet the people behind it all on our About Us page.